Friday, December 09, 2022

stupid, awkward, fucking meetings

As these things always do, today's situation started awkwardly. Around 4 p.m. today, my Korean coworker received an email from our HR department informing us that there's going to be an event next week on Wednesday. The event is a two-parter: a long-ass meeting first, from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., then a New Year's party (before Christmas?), probably with food.

Because this is the company's first big in-person meeting/festival since the pandemic began, the HR department also wanted to know our COVID-test status. Since the pandemic started, I've been tested twice, and I was negative each time. I realize that that datum is worthless, and that I'm supposed to have tested recently, but apparently, all HR wants is a report of "negative" via email, as well as an RSVP from each of us re: whether we're going to the meeting + party or just attending the meeting. Personally, I'd rather not do either because I know what a stupid waste of time these events are, but since it appears I have no choice about the meeting, I'll go to that and try to sneak out early if I can. Fuck the party.

My boss wasn't happy to find out that this HR email had been sent to my Korean colleague, so he called HR and made his displeasure known: Why did you contact my underling instead of contacting me? A lot of that sort of nonsense happens in this company; communication ought to be direct, clear, and comprehensive, but it rarely is, especially when it comes to notifying foreigners of anything. Foreigners are often left out of the loop. This has been true when I've worked elsewhere in Korea, so I'm not surprised that my boss wasn't notified directly.

We underlings all decided we'd at least attend the meeting; my American coworker plans to stay for the party, and my Korean coworker said he might stay for the party after he checks out the "atmosphere" (he said 분위기/bunwigi in Korean, which means "atmosphere" or "ambiance"). I don't think my boss is going at all seeing as he wasn't even mentioned in the HR email. Can't say I blame him. I'd rather not go at all. And I'm thinking I might contact HR, before Wednesday, about viewing the event remotely from my office. As I said, these events are a waste of time: endless speeches and PowerPoint presentations, lots of polite clapping, and nothing of substance or import. I think they might be celebrating 30 years of DYB or something; I can't even be arsed to find out.

I hate meetings. I hate big parties full of people I don't know. Every time I go to one of these events, I think of a million things I'd rather be doing. Parties are torture for introverts.*

__________

*There's one exception: if it's a gathering of people I know and like, that's cool.



No comments: