Friday, June 16, 2023

real keto cookies

I've made another batch of low-carb cookies, but this time, I used Lily's chocolate chips, which are keto-friendly (as long as you don't eat a pile of cookies). The only real flaw in this recipe is that, because almond flour doesn't have the same spreading power as regular flour, you're supposed to help the cookies spread by taking them out after they've baked only 3-4 minutes. You then push down on each cookie with the back of a spoon to help the dough flatten and spread out (there is a bit of baking powder in the recipe, which helps the cookies to puff up a little, but all in all, the cookies don't really spread that much). After that, you bake the cookies another 7 minutes. This has the unfortunate effect of smashing all the softened chocolate chips on the top of each cookie, hence the ugly, chocolatey smearing you see on so many of them. The thing to do may be to hold back some of the dough—sans chips—then dollop that dough onto the top of each cookie. The result ought to be a more or less clean spoon push without so many wrecked chips. But the center of each cookie will be chipless.

What has me curious is whether this batch of cookies will taste as good as the previous batch, which I'd made with non-keto Ghirardelli chips.

I used the same primary tray as last time, but for the secondary tray, I used something bigger, which allowed me to spread the cookies out a bit more evenly: nine in one tray, six in the other (last time, it was twelve to three, which resulted in a somewhat suntanned batch of three; they weren't bad at all, but they did take quite a hit of infrared).


As of this writing, I haven't tasted any of the cookies. I'm waiting for them to cool off. Expect updates a bit after lunch on Friday.

UPDATE AT 4 a.m.: they're good, but they definitely taste different from the previous batch. I like these new cookies, but I like the previous batch a lot more.



2 comments:

Charles said...

*patiently waits for you to get some cocoa powder so you can make those brownies...*

Kevin Kim said...

Maybe this weekend, maybe this weekend.