Friday, June 23, 2023

chemicals

This coming weekend or the weekend after, I'll finally be making those much-vaunted keto noodles. I have been waiting eons to do this, and this will be my first foray into molecular gastronomy. No, I'm not ready. But I'm gonna plunge in, anyway.

Remember the egg-yolk powder? That's the primary ingredient in this faux pasta, but sodium alginate is part of the mix, too. You make a solution with the egg and sodium, and you boil water into which you've added some calcium lactate. This will help the solution to congeal as you squeeze it into the swirling, boiling water via a squeeze bottle. How long you squeeze determines the length of the pasta; the size of the squeeze bottle's nozzle determines the pasta's width. I think this is going to be fun.

That said, I'm not expecting the pasta to taste like much. From the videos I've seen, it comes out shiny and a bit plasticky-looking. The same was true of those seaweed noodles I tried a while back. They had a bit of a seaweed taste to them, but they were mostly bland. I'm just hoping these new noodles won't have an off-putting taste.



No comments: