Friday, September 27, 2024

is it asking too much?

If I'm going to be out with my boss tomorrow afternoon and evening, looking at properties in Suwon, could I ask him to drop me way out in Yangpyeong so I can try a 33K Yangpyeong-to-Yeoju walk...? Probably not. Suwon is to the south while Yangpyeong is to the northeast; we'd have to cross all of Seoul vertically and somewhat diagonally. Then again, a quick online search brings up the cheap option of taking a train up into Seoul, then a subway the rest of the way out to Yangpyeong. 

And the elephant in the room: is it wise do try a 33K route after having gone only 12-ish kilometers last night, and having proved that I'm not strong enough, yet, to do any real stair work (the Yangpyeong-to-Yeoju route, where I fell that one night, has one major hill).

There are also many alternative options. I could spend time with the boss on Saturday, wait until late Saturday evening at my place, then do a night-to-morning walk to Hanam City. Only 26K, and there's a hill on that route, too, but not as steep. Better choice, maybe?



2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be wiser to build up your endurance in a very public location in case you have any issues? A school track next to your hospital would be a prudent choice, especially if something happened to you after you ask your boss to drop you off instead. He may feel responsible for anything that befalls your on your hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points, but these days, all the walkers and bikers are out—the fair-weather pussies I've talked about previously. So there's little danger of my collapsing all alone. Even at night, there are people all over the local trails... maybe not in great numbers, but even in supposedly empty areas along the river, if you just rest anywhere for five minutes, someone will be along shortly. It's rare, hiking in the Seoul area, to have the trail entirely to yourself. Beyond Hanam is a different story, e.g., the Hanam-Yangpyeong axis (35 km).

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.