Monday, July 31, 2006

the ricotta post



That bon vivant et gastronome, Charles of the unstoppable Liminality, emailed me this wisdom apropos of ricotta, one of the cheeses currently under private discussion as we consider the ins and outs of calzones:

As for the ricotta, the problem with freezing soft cheeses like that is that they tend to separate. It may not make that much of a difference when all is said and done, but I refuse to use frozen ricotta in my food. I'm just anal about things like that. ...Namdaemun, as far as I know, does not have fresh ricotta--the only cheese we could find there was frozen (I think we got some frozen cream cheese there, which was absolutely atrocious). We visit Costco once every month or so and I've never seen ricotta there, but I suppose I could ask the next time we stop by. That would leave Hannam Market, which is the most out of the way of the three. One of these days I will have to drop by and take a look. I actually do know of a place that sells fresh ricotta, but it's a real pain in the neck to get to. If all else fails, I could take a field trip there.

I went to Hannam Market and found the following 250g container of ricotta for a scrotum-shredding W8600, an absurd price for a cheese that doesn't exact rank up there with my beloved Gruyère. Charles, you'll have to tell me what you think of this cheese. It's got some liquid, but it tasted fine to me.

Before the unveiling:



And after:




_

No comments: