Monday, August 05, 2019

the mileage doesn't quite work out, but...

I'm thinking that, since I'll have thirty calendar days to do this upcoming walk, I might as well do it properly, i.e., starting from Incheon. According to the milestone at Incheon (see this post and scroll down a bit), the total length of the Four Rivers trail is 632.945 km. I just finished working out, leg by leg, what a true Incheon-to Busan walk would entail, and the distance I arrived at was 571.32 km. That's a 61.625-km difference in measurement. It could be that, because I plotted my route, this time, from lodging to lodging instead of from cert center to cert center, some kilometers got shaved off along the way. That still doesn't explain why there's such a huge difference in total mileage, though. It could be that something, somewhere, got mis-measured and/or miscalculated. I'll keep checking.



2 comments:

John Mac said...

Sorry, but when you are talking kilometers and then call the measurement "mileage" it makes me wonder if there is a word that is internally consistent to describe the distance? I've heard military guys say "klicks" (yeah, we'll march 15 klicks and then rest), but that's not really the same, is it?

Kevin Kim said...

My kingdom for a neologism!