Friday, January 07, 2022

I can feel my heart improving

As I've said before, I really slacked off during the final two weeks of December after my week-long fast and doctor's appointment. I'm not sure that's advisable, so at the end of 2022, I'm probably not going to repeat that move. As I also said before, it's amazing how fast the body can de-train when you let yourself go. Think I'm kidding? It doesn't take long for even the fittest of people to end up looking like melting ice cream. 

Here's a pic of normally trim and muscular action star Vin Diesel after letting himself go:

I was, frankly, shocked when I saw this. Unimaginable. This image went viral.

A guy like Vin Diesel has to be in fighting shape when he's filming, and he probably doesn't have much time between films to let himself go; ergo, I deduce that his dad-bod transformation didn't take long to occur. So look at the above pic and understand that it doesn't take much to fall off the wagon, and then consider that I was off the wagon for two whole weeks. Your body follows the rules of entropy, and like water, it will always seek the easiest path downhill. Oh, and in case you're in denial and saying to yourself that the above can't possibly be Vin Diesel, here's a better look at the man:

undeniably Vin Diesel—same shorts
(and I like how the shadow under his nose is making a Hitler mustache)

I am not, of course, claiming that I can compare with Vin Diesel in any way. When Diesel trains for a role, he ends up in better shape than I've ever been in. My point is merely that this is how the human body works: it de-trains fast. Fitness is a hamster wheel: to maintain a certain level of fitness, you have no choice but to remain on the hamster wheel forever.

To that end, then, I'm happy to report that, even with as little as two days of stair training, I can feel my heart getting back on track. Blood pressure is still too high, but my heart's strength is returning. And that is, I suppose, the upside of training: once you hit a certain peak, it's not hard to return to that peak. I'm sure Vin Diesel has little trouble getting back into shape whenever he's called upon to take up a new action-movie role.

And that's all I had to say. I think this post was just an excuse to show you pictures of a fat Vin Diesel. My way of comforting myself. I don't know what Diesel is like in person; he seems affable enough on talk shows, so maybe he has a sense of humor about these viral pictures of him and his dad bod. I hope he's not curled up fetally in a corner, crying little-baby tears at the thought of a scornful public. At least he's got the confidence to go around shirtless despite the man-boobage. I'm not at that stage yet.



2 comments:

Charles said...

Glad to hear about the improvement!

I have to admit that I have fallen off the wagon (hamster wheel?) a bit recently, what with the move and getting used to the new place. I really need to get back to my morning routine, and after failing to do so once again today, I finally decided that enough was enough. I normally give the routine a break on the weekend, but next Monday is a new week. I'm going to be getting up and getting back into the routine (even if it takes me a couple days to get fully up to speed again). I don't normally make public proclamations like this, but you should definitely email me next Monday to ask if I really did get back to the routine.

Kevin Kim said...

Heh. Okay, will do.