Saturday, January 08, 2022

shepherd's pie and Gettr followers

This coming Friday, January 14, is my first cheat day on the new regime, and it'll also be the day of our office luncheon. I learned yesterday that my poor Korean coworker is suffering COVID aftereffects—namely, he can't taste or smell anything. I nevertheless asked him, along with my American coworker, whether he'd rather do nachos for the luncheon or shepherd's pie. Both coworkers voted for shepherd's pie; the boss, who was away, voted via text for nachos, and I had to tell him he'd been outvoted. "Democracy in action," he texted back.

So—shepherd's pie this coming Friday, then. I need to head out to Itaewon to acquire some lamb qeema (ground lamb) since the local Costco doesn't sell any lamb or mutton. I also need to go out and buy some peas and carrots and mushrooms and potatoes: shepherd's pie is a casserole somewhere along the spectrum between lasagna and Greek moussaka (I recently found out the French version is called hachis parmentier, which is closer to what the Brits would call a cottage pie, given that the meat is beef and not lamb, but the French term is almost always translated as "French shepherd's pie"): you have a meat-sauce layer at the bottom, followed by a vegetable layer,* followed by a mashed-potato layer, followed by a layer of cheese (I'll be using that awesome English cheddar they're selling at Costco, a store I probably won't have access to once the vaccine-pass mandate kicks in on the 11th).

In other news, I announced on an Instapundit open thread that I was now on Gettr, and I just got my first follower. Yay, me, I guess. One. I'm famous. An empire isn't built in a day, though, so I expect the accumulation of followers to take time. It took time on Gab. Maybe we'll see some kind of snowball effect in a few months... or not. Who knows where this might go? Gettr has been linked to Chinese subsidizers, and it apparently has terms of service that make it little different from Twitter, so it could be that I might eventually find myself back with Gab again, as horrible as Gab was. We'll see.

Anyway, more news as it happens.

__________

*A lot of people combine the meat and vegetable layers.



No comments: