Wednesday, June 14, 2023

soon, my sweet

egg-yolk powder

It arrived today. One component down—two more to go. So, the term "egg yolk" can be nanhuang/난황/卵黃 in Korean, or it can be gyeran noreunja/계란 노른자, which I think is partially Sino-Korean and partially pure Korean (the noreun part is presumably pure Korean; I'm guessing it's derived from noran, the Korean adjective for "yellow"*).

Egg-yolk powder is a necessary component in the making of keto noodles. I got this package through Coupang, but the more chemical-y components are coming via Amazon, assuming they make it through Customs. (They should: they're non-perishable food-grade products.) When the other two components arrive, I'm going to go nuts making these noodles, which I saw on video a few years ago and have been wanting to make ever since.

__________

*The Sino-Korean for "yellow" is huang or hwang (황/黃). Korean often doubles up on expressions: there's a Chinese or Sino-Korean way to say something (e.g., su/수/水, "water") and a pure-Korean way to say it (e.g. mul/물, "water"). I've never figured out just how much of the language is doubled this way. They say around 60-80% of Korean is Chinese loan words, but from where I sit, those loan words didn't replace the old Korean words: they simply sit alongside them. I can think of Korean words with no Chinese equivalent, but not many.



No comments: