Sunday, September 08, 2024

aquarium!

Productive Sunday. I took Mike to the building where I work as preparation for when he comes there tomorrow, while I'm working, to enjoy lunch with me. Mike also wanted to visit the Jamshil Lotte World Aquarium, so we went there later in the day today. He'd gotten up early this morning (Sunday) and had taken a walk, exploring my neighborhood and discovering a couple parks, including the one where I'll be doing laps on Tuesday. After our office visit, I made another batch of flatbread for later this week (Mike hungrily ate one), so we'll likely eat gyro/shawarmas again this coming Wednesday. After I made the flatbread, we skipped out to Jamshil. Mike took a ton of pics, but I took only a few. Here are most of mine.

We begin with a bit of Konglish:

"Share Nature"?

Some sturgeon:

Zappers:


A rather large catfish:

And another:

What I really came for—the giant octopus!

The frilly white things hanging on the left are eggs. This is a mom, and once the eggs hatch, she'll die soon after, i.e., this octopus is going to be replaced... maybe by one of the hatchlings. Born in captivity and put on exhibit!

Mike mentioned some zoo in Europe that featured a "human" exhibit: a room with a person, presumably a zoo staffer, inside.

Here are some kids happily feeding some carp:

A turtle enjoys bubbles, repeatedly entering the bubble stream:

Penguins, all in a row and looking a bit sinister:

We walked about Lotte World Mall for a while, up and down escalators, and I eventually declared that we wouldn't have to walk later that evening. Poor Mike had been dealing with plantar fasciitis (not the "health issue" I'd alluded to in previous posts), and he was sore by the end of our day out. I wasn't sore, but I was tired, so we went back to my apartment, and I took a nap for two hours (I had also napped earlier in the day). Then I unplugged the headphones from my computer, and we watched the first two episodes of "House of the Dragon," Season 2. I'd seen the first three episodes before Mike's arrival in Korea, so it was good to review what I'd seen. The blizzard of similar names can make things confusing for my addled brain sometimes—Rhaenys, Rhaena, Rhaenyra, Aegon, Aemon, Daemon, etc. At least the series isn't trying to insult our intelligence. We're going to try to finish the season out with nighttime viewings, but Mike said he has HBO at home, so there's no urgency about finishing.

Tomorrow, it's back to work for me. Mike is going to spend the day visiting temples and wandering around Seoul; he'll stop by the office for lunch, then we'll meet up at my place to keep bingeing HotD, as the kids call it.

Tuesday evening, we may be stopping by my #3 Ajumma's place.



No comments:

Post a Comment

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.