Saturday, September 07, 2024

arriven!

Mike's flight got here 45 minutes early, but he had to go through a long line for Customs, then he had to pick up his one carry-on, so I made it in time to greet him at Exit Door E. He's settling in; in a little bit, he'll come upstairs to my place. and we'll chow down on what I hope are decent gyro/shawarmas.

in the limousine bus

Vader's expressions

in the same Airbnb David was in

Mike is here to watch over me until Friday. It was good of him to come. Since I'll be working, "watching over" will be more of an evening activity. We'll do a bit of in-the-park walking, and Mike says he'd also like to see "House of the Dragon," Season 2, so we've got that much planned. Today is mainly about arriving, eating, and resting. We'll do more tomorrow.

UPDATE: Mike came up and ate dinner, which he proclaimed delicious. Sorry—we were both too hungry and tired to do much more than eat, so no photos; if I remember to, I'll take some photos tomorrow, but you've already seen pictures of something like this dish before.

UPDATE 2: I showed Mike the downstairs grocery, then we dropped some grocery items off at his room. Immediately upon entering, I smelled something like an electrical fire: it was the up/down transformer that my brother David had bought for his own items and left for Mike. It had overheated because I'd forgotten to tell Mike about the mode switch in back: being an up/down transformer, it has a 110V "up" mode as well as a 220V "down" mode. It's supposed to be switched to 220V; it overheated in 110V mode, popping the room's circuit breaker. We did an equipment check on Mike's and the Airbnb hostess's gear; everything seems fine except for the frying smell. So: Mike is now using the fan to blow out some of the odor, then he's going right to sleep, being jet-lagged and all at 9:30 p.m., Seoul time. I've got one or two more things to do, then it's another night of "House of the Dragon" YouTube videos for me. Tired, tired, tired, and the summer heat didn't help. Mike and I both look forward to nighttime walks.



2 comments:

  1. Is this Mike's first visit to Korea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time Mike was here was 1995. It's been a while.

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.