Friday, December 24, 2004

the meaning of fear

Wanna see something really scary? Check out Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka in the preview to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." (requires Quicktime)

I'm still struggling to understand the revulsion I felt while looking at Depp's face. Don't get me wrong: I think Depp's a fantastic actor (loved him in "Once Upon a Time in Mexico"), but the scenes in this trailer are just creepy.

My quick prediction: the movie will flop. Too many people will compare this to the Gene Wilder film and find it wanting. Tim Burton, helming the current effort, seems to be going-- yet again-- for an "Edward Scissorhands" vibe. While Burton's aesthetic and storytelling sensibilities do have much in common with Roald Dahl's, I don't think they're a match. Maybe it's because they're too similar at times.

_

No comments: