Tuesday, October 30, 2018

scones done correctly

If your idea of a scone is the bland, shitty wedge they serve at Starbucks, you need to get yourself a proper scone. Watch Carla of the Bon Appétit Test Kitchen work with Food Network's Ina Garten on making a delicious and proper-looking batch of scones. Correctly done, scones look craggy and ugly, an aesthetic cousin of American drop biscuits. They're not meant to be decorative props to plop on a Starbucks tray; they are, quite simply, comfort food.

Behold:






1 comment:

Charles said...

I make scones from time to time, but I'm still tweaking my recipe.

For breakfast quick breads I probably prefer my Irish soda bread--a "traditional" version made with buttermilk, whole wheat flour and no raisins(!) Very tasty fresh out of the oven with butter and jam. Of course, it's hard to get real buttermilk in Korea, so I have to resort to a lemon juice/milk mixture.