Wednesday, August 18, 2021

collusion

Also seen on Instapundit:


I have to be honest, though: I don't have much sympathy for Uyghur Muslims. Yes, undoubtedly, they're victims of genocide, but they belong to a religion and culture that, in other parts of the world, would not hesitate to prosecute its own genocide if it had its way. Uyghur Muslims might seem docile and meek compared to other Muslims around the world, but I'm pretty sure that, if you put them in a Muslim-dominant environment, they'd become just as rabid and uncivilized as the Muslims we in the West are more familiar with. Thought experiment: China is a Uyghur-majority country, with the Han Chinese a minority of a few million. What do you think the Uyghurs would do? Be honest.

Does this mean I want to see the Uyghurs stamped out? Of course not. But it does mean that looking at the situation in China is like seeing one villain suddenly turn on another villain. I have little stake in the outcome of such a conflict and can't get too exercised about it. Sorry; just my unpopular opinion. Good thing I don't work in the States, right? I'd be canceled immediately for uttering such badthink.



2 comments:

John Mac said...

Yes, an opinion like this, expressed in writing no less, would be the end of the world as you know it back in the USA. I remember referring to "the pedophile Mohammed" on my blog and the shit storm that caused (a visit from the EEO folks, lawyers reviewing my posts, and a long chat with my boss about not letting my opinions impact my credibility as an HR professional). Luckily, I worked for the government and couldn't be fired for my "churlish opinions" (that's how the lawyers described my writings) since they weren't stated in a work setting.

I see Uyghurs as but an example of what is in store for any group that doesn't capitulate to the rules of their Chinese master. The jails in Hong Kong are already full of dissenters. I reckon Taiwan will be next.

Kevin Kim said...

I'm seeing a lot of chatter about how our limp-wristed action in Afghanistan will likely embolden China to make a move on Taiwan.