Monday, June 05, 2023

biking disaster

I finally tried to take my bike out for a spin last night, and the attempt instantly ended in embarrassing failure (there were witnesses even at 2 a.m.). I couldn't go five yards without weaving and wobbling. One reason why I've been hesitant to get back on my bike is that my stroke messed up my sense of balance (which is also why I can't do two-at-a-time step exercises on a staircase), and I've been wondering, this entire time, whether that would mean I can't bike anymore. Based on my flounderings from last night, I'd say the answer is a tentative yes: biking may no longer be possible. Part of the problem might have been my tires, though: I need to inflate them a bit more; the front tire in particular is a bit too squishy even after I thought I'd inflated both tires fully. I'll try biking again soon. Maybe getting the tires fully inflated is the answer, but I really was an unbalanced mess last night.



3 comments:

John Mac said...

So, that whole "like riding a bike" thing isn't true?

I hope you stick to bike paths for now, where a fall is less likely to get you seriously injured.

Stay safe!

Charles said...

I don't know if I would conclude that biking is (or may be) no longer possible. It might just be that you need to retrain your brain--basically learn how to ride a bike again. You've done that with other activities in your life, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that here. Now, whether you want to put in that effort is another story, because it will no doubt be an effort.

The last time I tried riding a bike (an actual bike, not a stationary bike) was years ago, and I remember it being really hard. Not in terms of balance, per se, but just in terms of effort, etc. So there may be some of that going on as well.

Kevin Kim said...

Charles,

I'm going to try again soon on the assumption that the tires will perform better once fully inflated. In 2017, when I got on that rented bike and went 50-some kilometers, getting on and just riding wasn't a problem. This time was much more difficult for whatever reason. I'll inflate the tires a bit more, and maybe we'll see what the real problem is. It's all about eliminating variables.