Monday, June 05, 2023

keto-ish chocolate-chip cookies

With the weather getting warmer, it's harder to obtain things like keto chocolate chips because some delivery services refuse to deliver things that have the potential to melt en route, which is perfectly reasonable.* So instead of using Coupang, I physically went over to SSG Food Market and got some mini-chips that are of the dark-chocolate variety. So there's some sugar in there. The cookies are primarily made from almond flour, and even though almond flour is considered keto-friendly, it's not really carb-free. Depending on the brand of flour, it can be 16-18% carbs. This puts almond flour way under the carb count of, say, wheat flour, but if you make a dessert with almond flour, you can't simply gobble everything with impunity, especially if you're on a carb budget. 100 g of almond flour also has around 650 calories—more than the caloric value of a Big Mac. Yikes.

Having noted all those cautions, I now show you my keto-ish cookies:

almond flour, almond extract, and broken-up almonds

I was surprised at how little the cookies spread.

This is another Joe Duff recipe, and I think the cookies came out looking amazing. Too bad the recipe is for such a small batch, though. The recipe said, "yields 12-15 cookies," and it was spot-on: I got 15 cookies out of my batch, and I ate the three that I baked separately:

suntanned because fewer cookies in the oven = more heat per cookie, I guess

Joe Duff warns that the cookies are super-soft when they come out of the oven, so they need at least 30 minutes to firm up. I waited 35 minutes before eating my three suntanned cookies, and they were delicious. I think part of the reason was that, aside from the chips, I changed another ingredient in the recipe: I used almond extract instead of vanilla extract. If you know anything about marzipan (sculptable, edible sweet almond paste), then you know two of the three main ingredients are almond flour and almond extract (the third ingredient is sugar). If you're a lover of marzipan as I am, then these cookies, fortified with almond extract, will remind you of that confection. I could easily wolf down the remaining 12 cookies, but I'm taking them to the office Monday afternoon. I don't know whether the remaining cookies will firm up any more tonight; I hope they do. The ones I ate were pleasingly soft even after 30 minutes under an air conditioner, but while I don't mind a soft cookie, soft cookies can be hard to ship. When they're too soft, and you try to stack them, the top cookies can droop and break apart. So here's hoping the remaining cookies stiffen up like horny teens.

__________

*I suppose some delivery service might stick the chips in an insulated bag along with some bags of dry ice to keep the chips from melting, but I once tried ordering chips in the summer and got rejected for the reason I discussed. Once bitten...



1 comment:

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.