Thursday, November 06, 2003

Matrix

Relevant in this forum largely because BH is a huge Matrix fan, and I will preface this by admitting that I haven't seen the 2nd film. The last film I saw in the theater was "Two Towers" and before that I think it was "Fellowship of the Ring." I think my wife and I saw something else somewhere in between, but I'm not sure.

Well it appears that from three reviews, Salon, the Washington Post, and USAToday, the third Matrix film substantiates my fear that The Matrix has failed to live up to the hype. The comments I heard from people after Matrix II was released were strikingly similar to those after The Phantom Menace was released. "You really have to see this film in context of the whole story.... Sure it has gaps, but it's part of a larger work..." etc.

Hogwash.

Think of "Empire Strikes Back". It ends on a cliffhanger, and resolves very little. Yet it's a perfectly paced movie that leaves the viewer thinking "If Part 2 was this good, I can't wait to see part 3!".

I'm very curious to read BH's review of Matrix III. I doubt I'll see it until they're out on DVD.

No comments: