Thursday, March 29, 2007

bis

Yesterday afternoon, I sat down with my supervisor and our department head and signed four copies of my contract for the coming year. I've been at Smoo for two years now, and the job remains as enjoyable as it was when I first got here. Sure-- there have been rough patches, but overall, this existence is a far cry from the typical hagwon grind. It's by no means the best-paid university job in Seoul, but I like my bosses, my coworkers, and my students. I also like our campus, and the fact that I live smack-dab in the middle of downtown, where almost everything is within easy reach of a bus, subway, or taxi ride. Here's hoping that this third contract year, which begins for me near the end of April, will be a case of "third times's a charm." It's been a good ride so far; may it get even better.


_

3 comments:

Sean said...

I'm sure it will go well for you. Based on your posts here I wish you were on staff at my university.

Kevin Kim said...

High praise, indeed!

Humble thanks.


Kevin

The Goat said...

Good on ya!

I have a hard time explaining to my (Korean) friends why I changed from a relatively well known university to a small unknown one....

I think you summed it up quite nicely why many people are where they are.