Wednesday, April 28, 2021

the Oscars smell like leprous scrote

I haven't watched the Oscars in years.  I no longer even bother making my silly predictions—based on no knowledge—of who will win which awards.  The whole thing has become a sad wokefest led by out-of-touch, overprivileged morons who think they have something important to say to the world. The Critical Drinker expresses these same sentiments in his own inimitable way:

Apparently, there were once again complaints of "Oscar So White" because Anthony Hopkins won best Actor ("The Father") and Frances McDormand won Best Actress ("Nomadland").  So white?  Really?  A Chinese woman won Best Director (Chloé Zhao, "Nomadland"), a black Brit won Best Supporting Actor (Daniel Kaluuya, "Judas and the Black Messiah"), and an unprepossessing Korean grandma won Best Supporting Actress (Youn Yuh-jung/윤여정, "Minari").  What the hell more do you want?  Will the complaints stop only once all the categories are swept by non-white folks?  You don't think it's at least a wee bit racist to focus so insanely on race?  Go make your own damn awards shows if you want; BET already does this.  Poor Korean Grandma can't even bask in her victory without being swamped by the woke-race crowd.*  This is the America I have no desire to come back to.  Let the big cities and their stupid wokeness burn to ash.  I won't miss 'em one bit.  Anyway, the Drinker is right when he says that stars have no business trying to influence how people vote.  Celebrities:  back the fuck off, check your privilege, shut up, and concentrate on entertaining the masses.  You're much more likable when you're not flaunting your stupidity.

__________

*She was apparently also asked by some interviewer how Brad Pitt smelled, and when Koreans here on the peninsula found out, they were outraged.  Youn responded to the Pitt-sniffing question by saying she wasn't a dog.  I haven't seen video of the exchange, so I don't know whether Youn was truly insulted by the question.  If she has the sense of humor of, say, Betty White, then I imagine she took the question in stride and responded "I'm not a dog!" with a cheerful crone's cackle.  If she got huffy because you just don't pose such questions to an older Korean woman, then I can imagine her being upset, with the Korean peninsula upset along with her.  It could be that the interviewer unintentionally overstepped her bounds thanks to cultural insensitivity; it could also be that the interviewer knew what she was doing, had a wicked sense of humor, and went for broke.  Personally, I don't get it:  Brad Pitt is old, now; if anything, he probably smells like fuckin' beef jerky.  Where's the sex appeal?  Sure, the older we guys get, the more we fool ourselves into thinking that young girls are into us.  Trust me, they're not—not unless we happen to be rich.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

"Sure, the older we guys get, the more we fool ourselves into thinking that young girls are into us."

Hey, I resemble that remark! Of course, the young women really DO love me here. They tell me all the time. Right before they ask me for money.