Tuesday, April 20, 2021

unmasked

Read:

Mask Madness Even as Scientists Confirm Once Again Their Uselessness

Took a cab this morning (I was toting quesadillas to work).  The driver wasn't wearing a mask.  Inwardly, I applauded him, and I felt stupid for stepping into his car with my own mask on.  But here as elsewhere, it's No mask, no service for the most part:  your mask might not be all that medically effective, but it's your passport if you want to take a cab, take a bus, ride the subway, enter certain restaurants, see a movie, or shop at larger stores.  The mask is largely security theater.*  Rebel if you want, but don't expect to be allowed anywhere if you're maskless.  Koreans don't generally "Karen" you for not wearing a mask—but if you try to step on a subway or a bus without a mask, as this guy found out, you'll be Karened.  Sad.

__________

*I stand by my earlier statements that I think the mask helps, to some extent, with the "droplet problem" of sneezing and coughing.  Enough to flatten any given curve?  Doubtful.  But it's not nothing.  That said, I don't think the mask is any more effective than that.



No comments: