Thursday, September 19, 2019

beef stock in the making

Behold the slow-cooker, in which I've dumped some lovely, fatty chuck, short rib, and shabu beef. It may not look like much, but it's got it where it counts, kid. This is what everything looked like at the beginning of the slow cook:


I cooked the meat all night. When I woke up:


The yuksu (meat broth) smelled and tasted amazing. This is what happens when you let physics take over during a slow cook: fat renders out; the collagen in the cartilage, the muscle fascia, and the connective tissue also renders out, adding umami to the broth, and the result is nothing short of miraculous:


I strained and bagged the meat before it could dry out. It's in the freezer, fork-tender, waiting to be re-thawed at some point and plucked at at my leisure. The stock has been poured out and containerized, where it will serve as the base for a lovely brown gravy, some of which will end up as an ingredient for pie filling, and some of which will be lovingly poured over mashed potatoes. This is a stock in all sooth because it had bones in it. Did I forget to mention the marrow's contribution to the overall taste?



No comments: