Friday, March 02, 2007

andouille: lessons learned

Note to Charles:

I made an interesting discovery: pan-fried andouille and boiled andouille are two very different animals. I finished off the last of that packet of andouille this evening, and did the andouille up quasi-German-style, boiling the sausages and laying them out on a plate along with some veggies (no potatoes, alas). Worked just fine. I suspect that, had we stuck some boiled andouille in the choucroute, there wouldn't have been a problem. Pan-fried andouille, on the other hand, retains more spiciness and has that added gustatory dimension thanks to the searing. That wouldn't have worked in the choucroute.


_

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind.

My mum emailed me to ask me for the recipe, because she made sauerkraut recently and has seven quarts sitting around doing nothing. So the choucroute is slowly making it's trip around the world.