Friday, March 22, 2013

bad, sad news

The email I just got from the Bank of Korea is a polite rejection. To wit:

Dear Kevin,

We hope this email finds you well.

We went through your application. Although you are qualified for the requirements of our opening, you will not be able to go through the recruiting process like other candidates here in Korea under your situation.

This letter is to let you know that you have not been selected for the position.

Thank you for taking the time to apply for the editor position at the Bank of Korea.

We wish you the best and thank you for your interest in our organization.

Regards,

S. Choi
Economist

I appreciate the "you are qualified," but interpret the "under your situation" to mean "You still live in America, which means we can't hire you, because we're lazy and closed-minded, and we hire only those who are already on the peninsula, despite the fact that an interview via Skype is feasible and you are perfectly capable of paying your own airfare to Korea at no inconvenience to us."

As I just wrote my Seoul-based buddy Tom:

Tom,

It appears, once again, that the fact that I'm in America has fucked me good and hard. I'm forwarding the rejection letter I just got from Bank of Korea. The gods are telling me not to come to Korea, I think. On the up-side, BOK at least had the courtesy to send me an email instead of leaving me hanging. I respect that.


Kevin

Well, shit. I'm gonna mope for a while, then figure out what my next move will be. It could be that the gods really are telling me to stay put in the States, perhaps so that I can complete my walk project: a trip across the US on the American Discovery Trail, as this guy Nate did.


_

1 comment:

Charles said...

That sucks, dude.