Thursday, March 07, 2013

eiderdown

Ayup: we're covered in snow, and the snow's still a-comin' down. I looked out my window, and judging by the accumulation on the cars' roofs in our complex's parking lot, I'd say we have a good 6 to 8 inches of accumulation. The prediction was a total of 8 to 12 inches (that's about 20-30cm for you metric-heads); I'd say we're going to make that prediction here in Appalachia. So, no: I ain't goin' to work. Gonna stay right here and work on my half-dim computer, despite the periodic power outages (we already had one or two during the night; I know this because I kept hearing my printer/fax/scanner restarting).

10:46AM: Just suffered another temporary power outage, right in mid-blog. Power came back on almost instantly. Weird thing was that, at the exact moment the power went off, I heard a distant explosion outside my window. Burst transformer? I don't know whether the explosion was connected to the outage; if it was, the outage was taken care of instantly. Perhaps backup power kicked in...?

11:09AM: Another quick power outage. And now we're back. Maybe I should log all these outages. I expect them to occur frequently throughout the day and evening. Our region gets them during any sort of inclement weather. We must not have a very stable infrastructure.


_

No comments: