Sunday, March 14, 2021

two belated reactions to "The Queen's Gambit"

The YouTube channel My Little Thought Tree, which is run by a professional clinical psychologist, has just put out a reaction to the Netflix miniseries "The Queen's Gambit," starring Anya Taylor-Joy:

The above reaction is based solely on the TV series.  My friend Charles has also reacted to "The Queen's Gambit," but Charles's comprehensive meditation (12,000 or so words) focuses on both the TV series and the book it's based on.  Both reactions are worth your time.



1 comment:

Charles said...

I'm subscribed to MLTT as well, so I saw that video. Funny how close our reactions were in terms of when they came out, given how late they both were!

I did notice that he seems to have a different opinion on Beth's anger. As you know, I don't think Beth is driven by anger at all, but on at least a couple of occasions he refers to Beth's anger against her opponents, etc. I didn't really see that. I never really felt that she was angry at her opponents, just that she wanted to crush them, and that doesn't come from anger. But I am not a professional clinical psychologist. In my defense, I will say that he did not seem to spend too much time thinking about that aspect of Beth's personality.