Monday, May 01, 2006

I think I was an asshole to this man



The Marmot recently posted a piece on the Reverend Tim Peters, a Christian based in Seoul who's been active in helping North Korean defectors. The Marmot's piece featured a link to a TIME article about the man... the name Tim Peters seemed vaguely familiar to me, and not just because he's been in the news lately...

In fact, I'm pretty sure that my father, back when he was working at National* Airport, had met Rev. Peters several times. I'm also pretty sure that Dad gave Rev. Peters my contact info, and that the good reverend sent me an email. If I recall correctly, the email was cordial in tone, but included an invitation to worship with some group of his in Seoul.

I no longer recall the specifics of my reply, but I remember my tone was terse, if not outright rude. It amounted to a blunt, "No, thanks."

My brush with fame, eh?

I've comported myself better with other celebrities.

I once met Art Buchwald on Georgetown University's campus. Our meeting went like this:

ME (on the way to Lauinger Library, walking toward Mr. Buchwald): Hello, sir!

MR. BUCHWALD (loudly, not stopping as he walked in the opposite direction, apparently toward the ICC Building): How ya' doin'?

At that moment, all of Art Buchwald's greatness shone on me like the coming of the Holy Spirit ("coming" in the sense of "arrival," asswipes). I was empowered. Juiced. Stoked. I found myself leering at co-ed breastuses more than usual that day.





*Pardon me if I refuse to call it Washington Reagan National Airport; it's not that I have it in for Reagan, but that I've spent most of my life calling it just plain "National."


_

1 comment:

R said...

Gee wiz, that guy must be busy. Finding time to save NK, while playing the part of the father in the American Pie movies.