Wednesday, May 03, 2006

respect for Sagan goes up a notch

MSNBC is currently displaying an article about Carl Sagan that deals with a collection of Sagan's 1985 Gifford lectures titled The Varieties of Scientific Experience. The title obviously riffs off the name of William James's classic book on religious experience.

What impressed me most about the article, however, was not the various revelations regarding Sagan's maybe-there, maybe-not spirituality: it was the fact that he obviously had good taste in women. The article features a pic of his wife, Ann Druyan. Back in the 1980s, when I was one of those geeks who chose to watch the TV series "Cosmos," I remember seeing Druyan's name scroll by during the ending credits of every episode. At no point did I ever see her face, or get curious about what she looked like. Little did I know that I'd been missing out.

I happily reprint Druyan's pic here:


All this time, I thought Sagan had married some frumpy, humorless old schoolmarm. Ha! Joke's on me. Boil me in a vat of plucked ovaries.


_

No comments: