Saturday, March 06, 2021

because you don't like surprises

Here's a list of the movies still left in my Amazon Prime Video queue:

"Filth"
"Bad Times at the El Royale"
"Super"
"Kumaré"
"Green Book"
"I Saw the Devil"
"Bone Tomahawk"
"Brawl in Cell Block 99"
"Collateral"
"Mud"
"Hot Fuzz"
"Woochi"
"Finding Forrester"
"Robin and Marian"
"Tokyo Godfathers"
"Driveways"
"Don't Breathe"
"Rust and Bone"

That's eighteen more films, after which I'll start to binge-watch two TV shows:  "White Collar" and "Ash vs. Evil Dead."  (I still want to buy and watch all of "Psych.") To be honest, I'm not looking forward to "Woochi," a Korean Taoist action-fantasy that I purchased on a whim and now regret purchasing (the trailer looks amazingly silly).  

I ordered "Robin and Marian" and "Finding Forrester" on impulse after Sean Connery died.  Same for "Driveways," which I got after Brian Dennehy passed away.  

"Don't Breathe" is billed as a horror-thriller; for the most part, I don't watch horror anymore because it only makes me laugh at its tired clichés, but I found the story for this one intriguing (plus, it's got the awesome Stephen Lang in it).  

"Kumaré," a story of (actually, a documentary about) religious hucksterism, came at the recommendation of a Canadian friend.  "Tokyo Godfathers" came at the recommendation of online movie-review guru Chris Stuckmann.

So I've got a lot of reviewing ahead of me, and I have dozens of films (86, to be exact) on both my iTunes and Amazon Prime Video watch lists, so there's enough to occupy me until the end of the year.  Sit tight and enjoy the reviews as they trickle in.



2 comments:

Charles said...

If "Woochi" is what I think it is (전우치), there is definitely some silliness there, and it is definitely not for everyone. It is based on a famous classical Korean novel, though, so naturally I watched it. It wasn't the best Korean film I've ever seen, but it also certainly wasn't the worst.

Kevin Kim said...

As my sixth-grade teacher used to say: "You hit it right on the nail." It is indeed the 2009 film. You say the film's story is based on a classical novel... did the novel involve time travel to modern Korea?

I used to know a very smart guy named Jeon U-jae (or "Woojay," as he liked to spell it). Off by a fraction of a syllable, I'd say. For what it's worth, his online moniker was "Jeonuchi," so I think he was well aware of the legendary story.