Tuesday, July 22, 2003

and, in a case of truly postmodern self-referentiality...

My buddy over at the Naked Villainy blog made reference to my earlier "Solomon redux" post. The Maximum Leader also linked to a Yahoo article about making Jerusalem into a world capital. I hadn't read the article at the time I'd written my post, but now I've read it. One interesting passage:

__________

[Peres'] plan calls for declaring a holy area of sites sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims in Jerusalem's old walled city as a "world capital," with the U.N. Secretary-General serving as mayor, Peres' spokesman Yoram Dori told Reuters.

__________

How about we pull out of the UN completely, allow it to relocate to Jerusalem, and meanwhile set up a "UN v2.0" or "UN Classic" composed of nations that actually follow democratic principles and value capitalism? This would disclude most of the world, including a certain Western European country that shall remain (France) nameless. In the meantime, the relocated "old" UN, which seems to be in thrall to Old Europe, can spend much of its time worrying about whether diplomatic immunity equates to being bulletproof.
_

No comments: