Sunday, September 04, 2005

movies I finally saw

This evening (that is to say, Saturday evening) I geeked out on pizza and DVDs, a pleasure I haven't experienced in a long, long time (for the forgetful: I have no TV, and my computer's too old to do anything meaningful with DVDs, so I lead a quiet life at my keyboard).

While at my buddy's place in Bundang, I laughed myself snotless watching "Team America: World Police" and "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle." Both movies feature Koreans in ways that don't exactly promote a positive image of Korean people and their culture: in "Team America," we've got the Kim Jong Il puppet; in "H&K," we've got the sexually repressed Korean stoner/übergeek Harold Lee.

"Team America" has it all for lovers of bodily fluids: a marionette sex scene includes a golden shower and coprophilia (Wikipedia link is work-safe; no worries). A subsequent scene depicts projectile vomiting that rivals the infamous Mr. Creosote scene from "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life." I was eating a slice of pizza when the vomit scene came on, but couldn't get it down because I was laughing just too damn hard.

"Harold and Kumar" was also hilarious, and while the leads played their stoner roles well, I think Neil Patrick Harris (of Doogie Howser fame) stole the show with his cameos. Fondling strippers' tits, snorting coke off their asses, stealing cars, and leaving "love stains" in the back seat, Harris-- who supposedly plays himself in the movie-- does a raunchy self-parody on par with William Shatner's shtick.

Two images, one from each movie, have been burned into my brain. From "Team America": the image of one marionette taking a massive shit on another marionette's face-- during sex. From "Harold and Kumar": the sight of a cheetah blissfully whacked on chronic.

Good times, folks.


_

2 comments:

Joel said...

No way would NPH do that man.

Kevin Kim said...

I loved that line.

You know you've been deified when people refer to you by your initials. The prime example in sci-fi would have to be...

PKD.


Kevin