Saturday, April 13, 2019

mission: down-dorans

I bought that lovely Cuisinart food processor a short while ago, but it's got a US plug, and it's a 110-volt device, so I need to hook it up to a proper transformer so as not to fry the Cuisinart when I plug it in and use it.

I have a so-called down-dorans (a Konglish-y term for a transformer that converts "downward" from 220 volts to 110 volts), but it's already hard at work far away from my kitchen, and I don't want to have to unplug and move the transformer every time I need to use the food processor. Solution: buy a second transformer. So that's my mission for today: I'll be leaving soon to hit the hardware district downtown (roughly, the Jongno 3-ga/Euljiro 3-ga neighborhoods) to buy myself a new transformer. These things are a bit smaller than a shoebox, and they weigh several pounds. Once I've got the device in hand, life in my kitchen ought to become much, much easier.

So long as I don't splash sink water onto the thing while I'm washing dishes.

Here's what a down-dorans looks like:


In fact, the above photo is of almost exactly the same transformer currently chugging away in my apartment (mine is rated "1KVA," and it has vents on top). It may be a small detail, but one of the things I love most about this transformer is that it's got three-hole sockets. This obviates the need to buy a three-to-two adapter. (Actually, I do have one of those, but still...)



No comments: