Monday, March 27, 2023

Jay Kraemer

John Mac sent me a link to an Ann Althouse blog post about a guy named Jay Kraemer, now 72, who walked the equivalent of the earth's 24,901-mile circumference in 8 years and 10 months. That works about to almost 8 miles' walking per day (7.8 mi. = approx. 12.55 km).

...by traversing the Madison area... or going on hikes while visiting his son in Utah.... The 72-year-old tracked his walks meticulously via his [Fitbit], saying the journey took nearly 50 million steps to complete.... After [eight years and 10 months], Kraemer made it around the world while listening to 148 books, burning through an average of two pairs of shoes each year."

Of course, Fitbits are sometimes prone to inaccuracies (not that my Samsung-app pedometer is all that accurate, either), so there's no guarantee the guy walked that exact distance. He should walk until he hits 30,000 miles just to be sure.

I go through a single pair of shoes per year. It's rare for me to average 12K per day. I've done plenty of long walks, but also plenty of short ones. My daily average has always been under 10,000 steps. Until my foot ulcer, I tended to do long walks only on weekends unless I happened to be walking across the country.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

Hmm, maybe I need to do the math too. I average 15,000 daily steps each week and have been doing so for several years now. I'm going to check to see if Fitbit has lifetime stats.