Tuesday, November 06, 2007

the sound of silence

Tom and I did a Costco raid this evening, and I just got back. Tom had to be let off first, and I spent most of the rest of the taxi ride in relative silence. This often happens when the taxi driver is unsure whether I can actually speak Korean, as is usually the case when I'm in the taxi with another passenger (Tom speaks Korean). I'm often garrulous with the cabbies (even when I don't quite catch their replies and rants), but tonight I was feeling fairly quiet. The driver, perhaps sensing the weight of the silence, flipped on the radio, as most drivers are wont to do.

I'm the type of person who has no need to fill the silence if I'm feeling pensive. I can be very talkative, as my friends know, but I'm also able to spend literally hours in perfect silence. That's just fine with me, even if it makes you uncomfortable. Just a function of my introversion, I guess.


_

1 comment:

Sean said...

I'm with you on the silence thing. I often spend the entire day at home alone in front of my computer lesson planning or whatever with no music or anything on. I love the sound of silence.