Thursday, March 19, 2020

Italians offer "messages from the future"

Below: a touching video compilation of messages from Italians who have learned their lesson in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many started off not taking the outbreak seriously, but all have been chastened since then, and their message is to those countries that are a week or so behind Italy's steep and frightening progression:


My own message continues to aim for the middle: don't freak out, use common sense, practice infection control. This is by no means the end of the world, but do treat this outbreak with the seriousness it deserves. It is a pandemic, after all. Even the slow-witted World Health Organization has finally recognized this.

ADDENDUM: ROK Drop is passing along the dubious news, which comes out of China, that people with blood type O are more resistant to the coronavirus than people with other blood types. I don't trust a single damn thing I hear from the Chinese, so treat this news with a grain of salt, and trust it only if Western (or at least non-Chinese) sources confirm this claim through their own testing. I'm O-positive, so of course I feel a slight twinge of hopefulness, but then I remember that this news is coming out of China. At the risk of committing the genetic fallacy, I'd say consider the source.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

O+? Why you are just my type!

Like you, I would be happy if the news is true but I ain't counting on it.