Saturday, March 11, 2023

once more unto The Terminal List

After my disappointing experience reading The Gray Man, I suddenly got curious about Jack Carr's The Terminal List—the novel, this time, and not the TV series. I'm maybe a quarter of the way through the novel, and I can already see that (1) Carr is a far better writer than Mark Greaney, and (2) Carr's novel has the same feel as the TV show, i.e., the TV show is a pretty faithful adaptation of the book.* This is really enjoyable reading, and there are places where the book goes into a bit more depth than the TV show does regarding things like the nature of James Reece's brain tumor (oligodendroglioma, with a post-diagnosis life expectancy of about a decade, which I guess justifies why this novel is the first in a six-book series).

I'll be reviewing The Terminal List once I finish it, which ought to be sometime in the next few days. And unlike with the Gray Man series, I will pick up the rest of Jack Carr's novels.

__________

*By contrast, the movie "The Gray Man" was, at best, a very loose and unrecognizable interpretation of the novel given how many crucial details, characters, and plot points got changed. As I said before, if I were Mark Greaney, I'd be hopping mad.



No comments: