Sunday, May 28, 2023

Mario Tomic and the concept of "calorie turnover"

I watch a lot of videos about diet and exercise—a habit I got into after my stroke. While I have certain regular, go-to experts on my YouTube subscriptions list, I do roam around and watch other trainers' videos. One is Mario Tomic. His videos can be a bit cringe-inducing because he loves showing off beauty shots of himself, but his advice tends to ring true, psychologically, and his recommendations don't strike me as crazy even if they occasionally contradict those of other experts. In the video below, Tomic brings up a concept that's new to me: calorie turnover. The idea seems to be that it matters, when you have a caloric deficit, whether this deficit is happening at a lower range or a higher range. Let me explain (I'm just stealing Tomic's explanation from the embedded video below).

Let's say you're eating 1500 calories a day and expending 2000 calories a day thanks to your basal metabolic rate plus NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis—the heat you generate just by doing everyday things from chores to fidgeting) plus exercise. So that's a 500-calorie deficit. Now imagine someone eating 2500 calories a day but expending 3000 calories. That's also a 500-calorie deficit, but Tomic argues that the greater raw amount of activity needed to burn 3000 calories accrues to a greater overall benefit for the person trying to lose weight. This second scenario solves the problem of eating too few calories and the problem of engaging in too little daily activity. This makes intuitive sense: we're all better off if we move around more, and we shouldn't be starving ourselves to death in an effort to lose weight. Evolutionarily speaking, we were designed to move around more than we usually do.

So watch the video, ignore the stupid vanity shots, and concentrate on the information. Let me know in the comments what you think.



2 comments:

John Mac said...

Hated his accent, but what he said made sense. I've never been a calorie counter, though. In fact, I'm not even sure how one goes about it. How do you do it?

Kevin Kim said...

There's no exact way to count calories, but apps like MyFitnessPal can help you track your food consumption as long as you use the apps honestly and log every little thing. Some people find that tedious, as you can imagine.