Tuesday, May 30, 2023

possible good news about my toe

This morning was the first time since before last October that I was able to take off my toe bandage before showering and see not a single drop of leakage on the bandage's inner surface. In the meantime, no other toe ulcers have formed on either of my feet, so I think I'm at least generally on the right track in terms of blood sugar. As you'll recall, the ulcer originally formed while I was walking around Jeju Island, so the wear and tear of distance walking could have had something to do with the ulcer's origin and exacerbation. Except for two instances last year, I haven't done any distance walking since the previous October. I suspect that, were I to go on a long walk tonight (and it's very tempting to do so), I'd end up undoing whatever healing is happening right now. 

Still, I take this morning's non-leakage as a sign that we're in the final phase of healing. The toe wound still looks kind of rough because some blood-like fluid has dried and darkened at the wound site, but at this point, I'm not going to try to scrub the darkness out for fear of ripping the wound back open. It's best just to wash the wound and not mess with Mother Nature. In two weeks, I'll be visiting my doc again so he can look at my toe and do my blood work; I'm sure he'll have an opinion about when I might be ready to walk.

A full recovery, long in coming, is right around the corner. I'm doing an experiment right now: instead of having put on my usual heavy-duty bandage before going to work, I slapped on a lighter one, and I didn't stick on any of my usual burn cream. I'll be curious to see how much leakage there is tonight, if any. Normally, during the work day, I wear one bandage, then when I get home in the evening, I change that bandage out for another one, which I wear all night and remove the following day right before I take a shower. My nighttime activity level is much lower than my daytime level: I walk around randomly all the time during the day as I go on various errands while at work. At night, I'm usually in my studio and on my computer. This lack of activity at night was undoubtedly a major reason why I was leakage-free this morning. I'm curious to see the degree of leakage when I check my bandage this evening after having worn it all day while more active. Am I still leaking through to my sock or not?



No comments: