Sunday, May 28, 2023

ouch

Below is a pretty harsh take on Ron DeSantis's botched rollout and its implications for DeSantis's campaign. Having just watched a lengthy interview between DeSantis and John Stossel (I'll be blogging about that soon), I would have to disagree that DeSantis has anything to worry about. First, the general public has a very short memory (I'm talking about regular, low-information folks, not people who follow politics and are students of history), so DeSantis's initial failure will blow over. I'm sure most Democrats have already forgotten about how Biden botched Afghanistan, so it wouldn't be surprising for Republicans to forget, in a few months, about DeSantis's trip-up, which has already been positively spun as DeSantis's having "broken the internet" because so many people wanted to join the livestream. (It's still Musk's fault that Twitter couldn't handle the bandwidth.)

This will be the last post I make about the botched rollout because, to me, it's obvious that DeSantis and his supporters have already moved on. And as you'll see when I put up the Stossel interview* (which happened before DeSantis's official announcement), DeSantis is at least as solid as Vivek Ramaswamy when it comes to policies, priorities, and knowledge. He's a sharp guy who has no trouble dealing with a hostile press, and I imagine he'll be a formidable debater (assuming there are debates) at the national level.

Meanwhile, if you want to see how divided conservatives are becoming about the whole Trump-DeSantis thing, just visit Instapundit's comment sections. Start with the comment section attached to this post.

__________

*Oh, and John Mac, DeSantis also advocates for a cutback of federal employees. He doesn't name percentages in the Stossel interview, which makes him seem a bit cagey, but it's obvious he wants to do some serious trimming as well. You'll like that he also explicitly mentions doing away with entire departments like Education. Trim and amputate.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

Yeah, I'm a DeSantis supporter, and his campaign rollout flop doesn't change a thing for me. Although I'm not a big Trump fan, I'd choose him over Biden (or any other Dem) without blinking an eye.

And yes, the federal government bureaucracy is out of control. Eliminate worthless agencies and fine-tune the mission of the others. Glad DeSantis sees it that way, too.