Saturday, August 26, 2023

loads of boeuf bourguignon

Saturday afternoon, my boss is throwing a party at his new apartment. He's having the party catered, but he asked me to make something, so I went with my go-to dish, boeuf bourguignon (beef Burgundy). The recipe I normally use these days is extremely simple; you spend most of your time cutting ingredients down to bite-sized pieces. Throw everything together in a pot, and cook for 2.5 hours. The boss said there'd be fifteen-ish people at the party, so I elected to make two batches of beef—something I've never done before.

Here's the first batch, made Thursday night. The fat floated to the top and congealed in the fridge, so it looks rather gross. But wait, I hear you fart, if the broth has been emulsified with the help of flour or cornstarch, how did you end up with such a layer of fat? Well, my fine friend, that's because I haven't added any thickeners yet! I'll do that Saturday morning, before my boss swings by to pick me up.

I normally use cornstarch as my thickener, for what it's worth.

Below is tonight's second batch, which ended up being added to the first. I'm happy to have plastic containers that can hold this volume of food.

If I remember to, I'll take pictures of the final product on top of fusilli.



No comments: