Sunday, August 20, 2023

flagged for "sensitive content"

I've linked to exploding chipmunk heads and other gory or uncomfortable content before, but I'm trying to think of the last time I actually put up "sensitive content" of my own on the blog. I think Google is finally coming for me, for it disagrees: my recent post, "images 2," just got flagged for "sensitive content," and it's now been placed behind a warning. You can still see the post, which hasn't been blocked or deleted, but you have to click past the warning to access it. Here's the email I got about the situation:

Click to enlarge, then right-click, then hit "open in new tab."
So some traitorous fucker looked at the harmless images in "images 2" and decided that one of them deserved flagging. We really do live in a Soviet society now, don't we, with all of us telling on each other. Note the Google email's hilarious "once the content has been updated, you may republish it." I've been given no indication as to what the specific objectionable content was (the bloodless photo of the girl with the sewn-up lips? what's sensitive about that?), so I don't know what to "update." And this is an automatically generated, "no reply" email, so I basically have no recourse. Sorry, readers, but you're just going to have to click past the warning to see my content on occasion from now on. And this is just another reason to move off this fucking platform. Google used to leave me and my content alone for years, but some time ago, they "warning-flagged" some old posts of mine. This is now the third time I've been flagged, so I think I've riled someone up, and I'm now on someone's radar as a troublemaker. Is this what it feels like to have a low social-credit score?

I'd been thinking about moving to Squarespace, but Squarespace—another Soviet sphere—polices its content, too. (Here's Squarespace's draconian "acceptable-use policy.") The only recourse I can think of is starting my very own website on my very own server. I can't do that, though, without learning about servers and websites from the ground up—something I've never had to learn up to now since I've passively relied on Google/Blogger for both the software that allows me to blog and the Cloud-related hardware that stores my data in some server somewhere on Planet Earth. More reason to sign up for SkillShare, to learn the relevant skills, and to become an online beast who doesn't need to rely on anyone and who can't be canceled by anyone.

To be clear, the above warning by Google isn't a canceling, but it's definitely a step in the wrong direction, and a sign of things to come. Thus do we non-Soviets build the so-called "parallel economy." It's all thanks to stupid shit like this.



5 comments:

eastnortheast said...

Kevin, have you ever thought about buying a domain and then hosting it wherever you want, like John McCrarey does? I also bought a domain (thought I dont really use it except for email) because I wanted a bit more control.

I dont really know anything about blogging in general or blogspot specifically, but I assume that when you signed up with them, ultimately, they control the content, correct? And, if they went "poof" tomorrow, is there any recourse since you are on blogspot.com rather than e.g. bighominid.com?

Domains are pretty cheap nowadays.

(i checked to see if BigHominid.com was available and it is already taken, so maybe that is you. LOL)

Brian

Kevin Kim said...

I suppose I could purchase a domain and port my blog over to it if Blogger still allows that (it used to), but I'd have to check carefully as to whether buying a domain comes with any freedom-of-speech restrictions.

Yeah, my BigHominid account on Twitter was quickly replaced by someone going by "Big Hominid" (2 separate words), but with the same @bighominid handle. Nature abhors a vacuum.

I'll check what the options are. Thanks.

Kevin Kim said...

Yeah, if Google suddenly went poof, I'd lose everything. I don't think that's happening anytime soon, though.

John Mac said...

It's sad we've come to this sorry state of existence. I just reviewed the post in question and saw nothing warranting the content warning. I'm guessing some bleeding-heart lefty encountered the post and didn't like the mocking of his political religion. Apparently, reporting your hurt feelings is all it takes to generate a Google warning. Maybe you should consider it an honor--somewhere in this great big world you made a snowflake's head explode! Well done!

As commenter Brian alluded, I expect Google will become even more aggressive in its viewpoint control efforts. Being anti-vaxx in the next scamdemic might get you dropped from the platform. It might be wise to look into the domain purchase/hosting services. I've never had any issues with content control since switching from Blogger in 2005. The main thing is transferring all your history/archives to the new host. I moved to Bluehost earlier this year, and they did all the work (for a price). GoDaddy is another possibility.

Maybe when Google starts losing customers, they'll change their ways.

John from Daejeon said...

Looks like it is in reference to your first picture.
And you don't want to get on her bad side as deadly accidents and suicides are commonplace for those who cross her. At least you don't have to worry about falling out of high windows as that is Putin's style. But be careful sitting on benches though.