Tuesday, August 22, 2023

give yourself to the dark side

The above video features some Jungian psychology—specifically, the notion of the "shadow side" of one's personality. Those familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality test may know that it is largely based on Jungian theory. Your four-letter personality's shadow side is the opposite four letters of your "main" side. For me, as a strong INTJ (professor/architect type), that means my shadow side is ESFP (entertainer/performer type), which is the side that comes out when I teach. I become extroverted, animated, and energetic when I'm in front of a class, but since my basic leaning is toward introversion, I'm still tired and stressed after a day of teaching. It's soul-draining work: fun while I'm doing it, but strength-sapping by the end of the day. To be honest, I'm happy not to have been a teacher for a while. I taught until 2015 before switching over to my current job in the Golden Goose, where I've been ever since, earning decent bank and enjoying finally being debt-free (as of the end of 2020), all while working in obscurity. 99% of my fellow Golden Gooseans don't even know I exist.

There are a number of MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) test resources out there. Lots of them. Go take one (here's a PDF containing the original test plus score sheet), find out your principal four-letter type, figure out your shadow side, then ask yourself about which situations in your life bring that shadow side out. Be aware that some sites do a better job of explaining the sixteen possible types* than others do (decent resource here).

__________

*Humans being human, there are obviously way more than sixteen personality types, and the entirety of your being can't be summed up by four measly letters. Please don't take the MBTI with that mindset. You're merely getting a general reading about general tendencies. Be aware, too, that strong criticisms have been leveled against the MBTI and its theory, so take any results with a big grain of salt.



2 comments:

John Mac said...

I guess I'm just a shadow of myself...

Anyway, I answered the questions on the PDF; I'll do the scoresheet later. I can refresh my memory of my personality type (I've done Myers-Briggs several times over the years, but I can't recall my four letters).

I don't know that I'm repressing my "bad parts," as discussed in the video, but maybe I could embrace them more, or at least accept the reality of who I am versus who I want to be.

John Mac said...

Turns out I'm still an INFP. I guess if the shoe fits, you wear it.