Thursday, August 24, 2023

my toilet is still leaking

It's like a nightmare I can't wake up from: the repair guy came, ripped out my toilet, replaced the wax ring, resealed everything with silicone sealant, and left. That should've been the end of it. I then dutifully waited until 6 p.m. the following day, per his instructions, before finally sitting upon what I'd thought was my restored throne. But, no: in the exact same spot as before, at the base of the toilet and off to the side, there's a fucking leak. Why? I have no clue. It didn't appear that first day, but a day or so later, there it was, looking for all the world as if the toilet were shedding a tear (which it might be, given the burden of my heavy ass). So I'm going to have to call for repairs yet again. And I almost feel guilty for having to do this, as if this were somehow my fault. Twice now, repairpeople have come in to "fix" problems in my apartment, and both times, they've left things as bad as, or worse than, before. I'm going to have have to request followup visits next time: "Come back a week later just to be sure."

Another leak in my ceiling, one I haven't talked about, happens every summer. I hear the gentle tap-tap-tap of water dripping somewhere in the crawlspace above my head ("crawlspace" is a bit of a misleading term here: not even a slim, skinny Korean dude can fit into this space, which is why my apartment's ceiling has several access panels in it to allow people to at least get near any given problem). Now, this leak has been happening, summer after summer, since I got here. I suspect it's related to the air conditioner of the place above my head, and there's undoubtedly some accompanying drainage problem. I have occasional visions of my ceiling one day collapsing as it sags under the accumulated weight of all that dripping, but then summer ends, the dripping stops, and there's no more problem until the following summer. Presumably, during the intervening months, whatever water has dripped onto my ceiling has dried up, so as if this were a ritual, I tend to forget about the problem until summer arrives, and the tap-tap-tap fills my mind again. I should probably tell my HR department about this ceiling problem, too, but there's no guarantee the repairpeople will arrive while the dripping is happening. Sure, they could shine a light in the crawlspace and see the accumulated water, but hearing the dripping firsthand would be a nice touch.

My HR department hasn't gotten back to me about scheduling a second visit of the team who "repaired" the leak above my bathroom's ceiling. I'm guessing that HR forgot, so I'm going to have to remind them about that, too. Basically, I've had two visits from two different repairpeople; they both did piss-poor work, and I haven't moved past Square One because the original problems are still there. Sometimes, Korea really does feel like France. Lazy work ethic, shoddy work. The US websites that constantly praise East Asian this and East Asian that really ought to take a closer look at the actual reality here. 

Right—enough bellyaching. I have emails to send.



2 comments:

eastnortheast said...

I would be very concerned about mold in your ceiling. The near constant accumulation of moisture in that area is not a good sign. Depending upon the type of mold, it can be a pretty serious health problem.

Brian

Kevin Kim said...

I haven't had any lung-related problems up to now (where would the mold come down from?), but I probably should get the crawlspace checked all the same.

In terms of mold, I'm much more focused on my air conditioner, which always runs during the summer. I keep it mold-free with frequent brushings and sprayings of the fan unit. If I don't do this for a week or so, the A/C starts to smell. So I stay on top of that.