Saturday, June 12, 2004

voting redux

I've written on voting before, but damn-- here's something. I agree: we should have a right not to vote. Making voting compulsory won't solve the problems people think it will (the disaffected will simply write in Daffy Duck instead of staying home; the stupid voters will still be stupid, etc.). It'll also give a more sinister cast to the idea that voting is somehow "one's patriotic duty." If a law obliging us to vote is passed, the situation will be that it's "one's patriotic duty-- not to mention the law." Isn't this how it is in Australia? That's as silly as fellating a joey. Wouldn't you Aussies rather have the option to go down or not go down on a Sheila?

On a completely unrelated note, I'm very saddened to read that Ray Charles has died. I can't dredge up quite the same feelings for Reagan, but maybe this is because Reagan couldn't sing "Georgia" the way Ray Charles could. I also have a soft spot in my heart for Charles's hilarious turn in "The Blues Brothers."

_

No comments: