Monday, August 08, 2005

this just in: Peter Jennings DEAD, baby

He was a fixture from my childhood: Peter Jennings, anchor extraordinaire. Unlike some, I never felt deep bitterness toward him for his coverage of the 9/11 attacks, and certainly never felt the need to boycott him.

Watching Jennings anchor the ABC desk was a trip. I recall many instances where technology let Jennings down during live broadcasts-- a sound problem or a video feed problem, for instance-- and he'd turn into a surly dick on the air. I found that funny, though, not off-putting.

And now he's outta there. Not long ago, Jennings acquired US citizenship, making him a dual US-Canuck citizen. If the Angry Canadian stereotype is true*, one can only imagine how the man must have been at war with himself.

I'm not sure when I'll be returning to the States, but I suppose some part of me assumed I'd simply come home to northern Virginia, flop onto the parents' couch in their living room, turn on ABC and there Jennings would be, in all his prima donna prissiness. Alas, no: Jennings bravely precedes us into the realm of worms and shadows.

All hail!






*Of all the Canucks I've come to know in Korea, I can't think of a single one who fits that stereotype. While certain Americans grouse about Angry Canadians, Koreans sing Canucks' praises as "so polite." The only Korean critique I've ever heard is that many Canadians "don't bother learning Korean." Here again, I personally know Canadians who don't fall in that category, and also think that that critique applies to more than just Canadian expats, anyway.


_

No comments: