Monday, July 08, 2013

galbi burgers

Behold: galbi burgers!


I had bought three thirty-dollar packs of galbi. Two packs got marinated and broiled in the traditional Korean style. The third pack of galbi (Korean short ribs) was sliced off the bone, de-fatted, thrown into the food processor, ground up, and incorporated into a mess of regular ground beef. Korean galbi is naturally fattier and sweeter than typical ground beef; its addition amps up the flavor and juiciness of any burger. In fact, I'm so convinced of galbi's tastiness that I would gladly put a galbi burger up against a Kobe beef burger any day, and would be confident that galbi would win.

Above, you see two galbi burgers, done up with American cheese, iceberg lettuce, sliced tomatoes, mayo, and sriracha. The burger meat itself was mixed with a liberal pouring of Mr. Yoshida's barbecue sauce. Mr. Yoshida's sauce tastes and smells suspiciously like my own galbi marinade, which made me think that, as flavor profiles go, it would make a fine addition to my ground meat. Sure enough, it did. In the above photo, you may or may not be able to see what I've done to the burger patties: I've sliced each patty through horizontally to create half-patties, and I've placed the half-patties in spread-out fashion on the Italian Kaiser buns (not sure how "Italian" and "Kaiser" are meant to function in the same phrase, but there are weirder mutations out there; I'm just relating what's on the label). The patties in question had been in the freezer for a couple days, so I thawed them in the microwave, then microwaved them on low power for several minutes to warm them up to a serving-ready temperature.

Result: delicioso.


_

2 comments:

Justin said...

Real Kobe beef isn't great for burgers, I've tried a few times. Mixing it with something leaner works OK, but then, what's the point?

Your burgers look awesome, but I would request a kimchee-mayo topping.

Kevin Kim said...

I may have to try the kimchi-mayo thing, right after I try making a Reuben with kimchi instead of sauerkraut.