Tuesday, July 23, 2013

ululate!

The great Dennis Farina has died of a pulmonary embolism at 69.

I know Farina best from his work in two gangster-related films: the quirky, hilarious "Get Shorty" and the dark, gritty "Goodfellas." The man had a great sense of comic timing and a very natural, memorable screen presence. Like Joe Pesci, he could go from jovial to mean in an instant. In reading around, I just discovered that Farina used to be a cop. Imagine that.

RIP, Mr. Farina. You will be missed.


_

4 comments:

SJHoneywell said...

I heartily recommend the films Snatch and Midnight Run for more Farina goodness. He also had small parts in Saving Private Ryan and Thief, which is a personal favorite.

Kevin Kim said...

I saw both "Snatch" and "Midnight Run." It's been a few years, though. I vaguely remember him in "Snatch," but I remember next to nothing about "Midnight Run," which I found forgettable. What role did Farina play in "Saving Private Ryan"? I don't recall.

SJHoneywell said...

He had a small role as a military officer. A couple of lines, if I recall correctly--sort of like Ted Danson or Paul Giamatti.

You should watch Snatch again. Farina has a lot of the best lines.

Kevin Kim said...

Heh. I should watch snatch again.

Yes. Yes, I should.