Friday, July 12, 2013

little bro

I went out to dinner with my little brother Sean last night. We met in Centreville, Virginia, where my job at YB Near is located, since Sean had been teaching back-to-back lessons in Vienna. I had given Sean a choice of restaurants in the area to try; he chose Copper Canyon Grill, texting that CCG's menu appealed to him. I'd never been to the Canyon before, so I thought it might be worth a reconnoiter. Since I had a few hours to kill (my job ended around 3PM yesterday, but Sean wasn't to arrive in Centreville until 8PM), I followed the suggestion of a coworker and went to the second floor of a local Wegmans, there to enjoy the free Wi-Fi service and the constantly wafting scent of food drifting upward from the self-service food court below.

Around 7:45PM, I drove over to Copper Canyon Grill to meet Sean, who told me he was stuck in traffic. I arrived at 8PM on the dot and grabbed us a booth. Sean arrived at the restaurant around 8:20PM, and we ordered. I got a crab-dip appetizer and CCG's "Rattlesnake Pasta," which featured rotisserie chicken, not rattlesnake, as the meat. Sean got a salad instead of an appetizer and a rib-eye steak that turned out to be perfectly cooked to the degree of rareness that Sean treasures in his steaks. Sean actually gave an interesting disquisition on good rib-eyes, and talked about how disappointed he had been when, a few years back, he had ordered a rib-eye at Cut, a San Francisco grill-restaurant owned by Wolfgang Puck. Puck's rib-eye was a neat little rectangle of flesh from which all the delightfully marbled meat on the end had been trimmed away. "But that's the point of having a rib-eye!" Sean averred. He therefore took great delight in Copper Canyon Grill's rib-eye, which was fatty and done up perfectly. I tried a bite of Sean's steak and regretted having ordered chicken pasta.

Dinner was great, and we were both stuffed. Sean gallantly treated me to the meal; Copper Canyon isn't easy on the wallet: all of its menu items are about $3 to $5 more expensive than they should be.

My little brother is heading out to New York this morning, so he needs me to house- and dog-sit for him for two nights. I'll be at his pad from late this afternoon until Sunday morning. Sean warned that, on Sunday, there might be visitors: he's been trying to sell his condo (possibly for a move back to Boston, where he did his graduate work), so there's a chance that some prospective purchasers will want to come over to take a look at his place that day. I'm supposed to be out of the house when such visits occur, so I might have to grab Maqz the chihuahua and drive him over to my other brother's place, there to drop the dog off.

This weekend, I also need to start packing up my belongings and getting them ready for storage. At some point soon, I also have to talk to my buddy Mike about what's happening with my car. Lots to think about, lots to arrange.


_

No comments:

Post a Comment

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.