Wednesday, March 04, 2020

belated ululate!

Last month, actor Kirk Douglas died of undisclosed causes at the age of 103. News reports say he passed away at home in Beverly Hills, surrounded by family. Douglas, a committed Democrat, was a pro-Israel activist as well as a peace ambassador who unabashedly promoted democracy. I remember him best for his role as Ned Land in Disney's 1954(!!) "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." I also vaguely remember his crusty performance in an obscure 1983 film called "Eddie Macon's Run," also starring John Schneider (of "The Dukes of Hazzard" fame). Douglas was part of Hollywood's Golden Age, and he stood alongside other chisel-jawed studs like Burt Lancaster and Charlton Heston. I don't think I've ever watched "Spartacus," but I'll put that on my list as a way to honor the old man. RIP, Mr. Douglas.



No comments: