Sunday, November 13, 2005

and for my next linguistic stunt...

Over at L'Express, there's a great slide show (no link: Javascript window from the homepage-- scroll way down and find the fat face of Kim Il-sung) about North Korea called "Corée du Nord: Un paradis de cauchemar," which translates, as you might imagine: "North Korea: A Nightmare Paradise." The pictures in the slide show speak for themselves, but the audio commentary by Marc Epstein (which, by the way, I'd recommend to students of French as a way to brush up on listening comprehension-- it's very slow and clear) is also well worth transcribing and translating. So that's what I'll be doing next for you: presenting you, as best I can, with both the French script and the English translation of Epstein's spiel. Might take a while. Other posts might appear before the transcription and translation are finished.

Speaking of NK, I'm almost done with The Aquariums of Pyongyang. Expect some commentary on that, and on Breen's The Koreans, sometime later this week.

And while we're talking about posts I've promised to do, I haven't forgotten that one Buddhism post I mentioned a while back. That ought to appear this week as well. Sit tight. Stay tuned.


_

No comments: