Sunday, March 01, 2020

about that "unpaid leave" thing

My boss told me, when he called Saturday afternoon, that our company has already taken a huge financial hit because of the virus scare. I asked how this was possible: didn't the parents register their kids on a per-semester basis? "No, they register and renew monthly," he replied, and everything suddenly made sense. A sudden drop-off in registration means that what used to be a steady, mostly reliable income stream peters out to zero, at which point you're fucked, especially if you're a large company whose revenue streams all dry up simultaneously.

What doesn't make sense to me is why our company's leadership hasn't thought far enough ahead to have a large cash reserve for just such emergencies. (Too busy gleefully expanding operations into Vietnam, I guess.) Most families understand that, in the event of a sudden crisis (e.g., Dad loses his job and has to find new work), a family needs to have a "cushion" in the bank that allows family members to weather a sudden financial crisis for two to three months—the time needed to respond to the crisis by adjusting one's footing, economically speaking. By extension, then, shouldn't a company operate according to the same wisdom? Or am I being too idealistic, here? Is it too much to expect the CEO and CFO of a company to think ahead like that? At a guess, my company's answer is "yes, it's too much to expect." To be fair, no one preps for a pandemic, but what I'm talking about is prepping for crises in general. I'm just pissed about the whole unpaid-leave thing, is all.



No comments: